Yield: 1 medium loaf
Prep time: 10 minutes preparation; 45 minutes baking
Serve with all the classic accompaniments, like mashed potatoes, gravy, and mixed vegetables.
- 2 8-ounce packages of plain soy tempeh Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion Add to list
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, through garlic press Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery Add to list
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (bulk) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon raw wheat germ Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Worschestershire sauce Add to list
- 1/3 cup ketchup Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon each: dried oregano, marjoram, thyme and basil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Oil a glass or dark metal 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan.
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. If mixture seems too dry, add a little water as needed. Gently press mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake approximately 45 minutes, until fully cooked and well browned. Cool for ten minutes before slicing.
Variation: Substitute 1/2 pound lean ground round steak in place of the half the tempeh, for a TeMeat Loaf — a good means of reducing cholesterol in meat and adding the nutrients and fiber of soy tempeh.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager