Tempeh, Avocado & Tomato Sandwich
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Like a vegan BLT!
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1/4 cup tamari Add to list
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup, divided Add to list
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers Add to list
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 1/3-inch thick strips Add to list
- 2 ripe large tomatoes Add to list
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon of salt Add to list
- 1 to 2 large avocados, mashed with a pinch of salt just before assembling Add to list
- 8 thin slices of hearty whole-grain bread, well-toasted Add to list
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, cored and cut into 1/4-inch ribbons Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Whisk together 3 tablespoons olive oil, tamari, balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and adobo sauce. Pour 1/3 of the marinade into an 8X8 inch baking dish. Place the tempeh in the dish. Pour remaining marinade over the tempeh, cover and keep in the refrigerator for a couple hours, overnight or until ready to use.
While the tempeh is marinating, roast the tomatoes. Cut each tomato in 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange them in a baking dish. Mix together remaining olive oil, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and salt and pour over tomatoes. Gently toss so the tomatoes are coated. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or so, until the tomatoes have shrunk a bit and are sweet.
When the tempeh is done marinating, heat a large pan over medium-high heat and cook the tempeh slices for a few minutes on each side. You may need to do this in batches if you don't have a big enough pan. Set the tempeh slices aside until you are ready to assemble the sandwiches.
To assemble each sandwich, spread a generous layer of mashed avocado on each slice of bread. On 4 of the slices, place a small helping of shredded lettuce on top of the avocado, a couple slices of tomatoes, a few slices of tempeh, and more tomatoes. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, avocado-side down.
Each serving: 580 cal, 37g fat (6g sat), 0mg chol, 940mg sodium, 49g carb, 9g fiber, 21g protein
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, April 2012
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »