Tempeh and Wild Rice Stuffing with Filberts
Yield: Approximately 5 cups
Prep time: 45 minutes for rice plus 15 minutes to assemble
- 1 8-ounce package soy or 5-grain tempeh, diced in 1/4-inch cubes, marinated for 10 minutes in 1 cup water and 1/4 cup soy sauce Add to list
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sesame or olive oil Add to list
- 3 cups cooked long-grain brown or specialty rice (such as half-long grain brown cooked with half-wild rice or choose one of the Lundberg's special blends of aromatic rice) Add to list
- 1/3 to 1/4 cup sliced, lightly dry-pan toasted filberts Add to list
- 2 stalks celery, minced Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely minced parsley (plus several sprigs reserved for garnishing) Add to list
- 1 onion, peeled and diced Add to list
- 6 mushrooms, sliced (preferably wild chanterelle, shiitake and oyster mushrooms) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon (or more) mixed poultry herb blend ( or 3 or more teaspoons finely minced fresh sage, oregano, thyme and rosemary leaves) Add to list
- Approximately 4 tablespoons dry white wine (or water) as needed, to moisten stuffing Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
Remove marinated tempeh from liquid and lightly brown in the oil in a heavy skillet for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
Combine next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Add tempeh, scraping any oil and bits into bowl. Toss ingredients.
Taste and add salt or soy sauce, pepper and the wine in small amounts, lightly tossing and tasting.
Pack lightly into cavity of partially baked winter squash. Cover squash with lid or foil and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes or until done.
Serve with a mushroom or onion sauce accompanied by a salad of dark mixed greens, fresh sprouts and vinaigrette.
Variation: Omit mushrooms and poultry seasoning and add 1 cup chopped green apples or winter pears, 1/2 cup dried fruit bits, and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »