Swiss Chard and Sausage Lasagna
Layers of noodles, chard, sausage and cheese make this a family favorite meal.
- 9 lasagna noodles Add to list
- 3 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1 onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour Add to list
- 3 cups whole milk Add to list
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese Add to list
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 bunches Swiss chard – tough stems removed and leaves chopped Add to list
- 1 pound bulk sausage Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, while stirring constantly, then reduce to a simmer; cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan, all the Gruyere, lemon zest, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Fold in Swiss chard; set aside.
Cook sausage in a pan over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain fat, if necessary.
Spread 1/2 cup sauce over the bottom of an 8- by 12-inch baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, half the sausage and 1 cup sauce. Repeat. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
Bake in the oven, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Heat broiler and broil until cheese is browned and bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.