Sweet Potato Hash
Serves: 4 to 6
Sweet potatoes, sausage, kale and eggs are cooked together for the perfect brunch or dinner entree.
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided Add to list
- 1 pound ground sausage (see note) Add to list
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds Add to list
- 1 1/2 pounds organic garnet or jewel yams, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes Add to list
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 eggs Add to list
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; crumble and cook until no longer pink. Add onion, garlic, thyme and fennel seeds; cook until onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove mixture from pan.
Heat remaining oil in skillet and add yams. Cook until golden and tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Return sausage mixture to the skillet. Stir in kale and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Using a spoon, make 4 shallow indentations in the hash and crack 1 egg into each indentation. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until whites are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Use your favorite pork, turkey, chicken or vegetarian sausage for this recipe.
Each serving: 530 cal, 38g fat (11g sat), 235mg chol, 1050mg sodium, 29g carb, 5g fiber, 6g sugars, 19g protein