The Sunny Mediterranean (pizza)
This is just one in a series of delicious, creative mini-pizza topping combinations.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 4 garlic cloves Add to list
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped Add to list
- 1 pound spinach leaves, stems removed Add to list
- Pinch nutmeg Add to list
- Pinch red pepper flakes Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- PCC Deli Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Tapenade Add to list
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella Add to list
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts Add to list
- 1/4 dried currants Add to list
- 2 tablespoons capers Add to list
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano Add to list
In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the basil and spinach and cook until all the liquid is evaporated from the spinach. Season with the nutmeg, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Allow to cool slightly.
Spread a thin layer of the roasted red pepper tapenade over each dough round and top with the spinach mixture. Add a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese and scatter the rest of the ingredients on top.
Use your favorite recipe for pizza dough and shape it into four eight-inch rounds.
Add toppings and place rounds on a greased baking sheet and into a preheated 500º F oven. Turn the heat down to 450º F and bake for about 8 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
These mini-pizzas, created by PCC Chef Lynne Vea, are an easy, mix-and-match way to sample the season’s freshest flavors. For a decidedly Northwest taste, choose fresh ingredients that are grown and produced close to home.
More pizza recipes in this series:
Recipe by, PCC Chef