Perk up your dinner plate with this summery fritter made from summer squash and carrots. Add your favorite herbs from the garden for a real summertime treat!
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini or other summer squash, grated Add to list
- 1 carrot, grated Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour Add to list
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 2 green onions, sliced Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional) Add to list
- Black pepper, to taste Add to list
- High-heat oil, for cooking Add to list
- Plain yogurt or sour cream, for serving (optional) Add to list
Combine zucchini, carrots and salt in a colander. Place the colander in the sink and let sit for 15 minutes. Using a clean dish towel, squeeze out as much moisture from the zucchini and carrots as possible (this is easiest done in batches).
In a large bowl, combine zucchini, carrots, eggs, flour, cheese, green onions, garlic and black pepper; mix well.
Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup zucchini batter into the pan and flatten into a pancake shape. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve the fritters with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream on top.
Each serving: 110 cal, 6g fat (2g sat), 85mg chol, 550mg sodium, 9g carb, 2g fiber, 3g sugars, 6g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef