Summer Berry Napoleons with Puff Pastry and Honey Greek-style Yogurt
Yield: 12 individual desserts
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed (try local brand Aussie Bakery) Add to list
- 1/2 cup melted butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup demerara or turbinado sugar (divided) Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts Add to list
- 1 pint whipping cream Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 cup honey-flavored Greek-style yogurt (try local brand The Greek Gods) Add to list
- 3 cups berries, any combination, washed and dried Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Cut each sheet of pastry into 12 rectangles and place on a baking sheet about 1/2-inch apart. Brush each with melted butter. Combine 1/4 cup of the sugar with the hazelnuts and sprinkle generously over the surface of each rectangle. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the pastries are deep golden brown. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, whip the cream with the remaining sugar to a light peak. Gently fold the whipped cream and vanilla into the yogurt.
For each napoleon
Place a pastry rectangle on a dessert plate. Top with a generous spoonful of the whipped cream-yogurt mixture. Scatter berries on top of that and place a small dab of whipped cream-yogurt mixture on top of the berries. Place another pastry rectangle on top. Repeat the process for each napoleon, finishing with the last pastry rectangle.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on July 10, 2010.