Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Welcome spring! This is one of the simplest and loveliest desserts I know of. The bright, rosy strawberries and the silky, pink rhubarb are simply perfect together. Check out PCC's bulk grains department for other rolled grains to add to your crisp topping. Below you'll also find some variations for year-round seasonal fruit.
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb Add to list
- 4 cups halved strawberries Add to list
- 3/4 cup sugar (or more to taste) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder Add to list
Mix together the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and arrowroot powder and pour into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with the Crisp Topping and bake at 400° F for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
For Crisp Topping
Stir ingredients together in a bowl.
Here are some variations.
Summer Fruit Crisp Filling
- 5 cups chopped summer fruit, such as pears, nectarines, apricots or peeled peaches
- 2 cups berries such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, or whatever you like!
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup sugar (or more to taste depending on how ripe the fruit is)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Place the fruit in a large bowl. Add the arrowroot and sugar gently to the fruit. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and proceed as directed.
Autumnal Fruit Crisp Filling
- 8 cups chopped apples or pears in any combination
- 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Combine the fruit, sugar and cinnamon mixture, and arrowroot powder. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Place the fruit in a 9x13 baking dish. Dot the top of the fruit with butter. Add the pecans or walnuts to the crisp topping and proceed as directed.
Recipe by, PCC Chef