Strawberry Bread Pudding
Think of this as a light, custardy version of strawberry shortcake, particularly when served with the optional creme fraiche.
- 5 eggs Add to list
- 2 cups milk Add to list
- 1 cup heavy cream Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla Add to list
- 3/4 cup sugar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1 (1 pound) loaf day-old white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- Butter, for dish Add to list
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- Crème fraîche, for serving (optional) Add to list
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add bread and stir to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Generously butter a 9-inch square baking dish.
Add strawberries and zest to bread mixture; fold gently to combine. Transfer to prepared dish and cover with foil. Bake until custard is set around the edges, about 1 hour. Remove foil and continue to bake until golden and custard is completely set, an additional 20 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes. Slice and dollop with crème fraîche to serve.
Each serving: 280 cal, 12g fat (6g sat), 120mg chol, 410mg sodium, 37g carb, 2g fiber, 8g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef