Stir-fried Chicken Ribbons with Vegetables and Fresh Plums
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or rice wine Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger Add to list
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced Add to list
- Pinch of red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips Add to list
- 1 tablespoon high-heat canola oil Add to list
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds Add to list
- 1 cup broccoli florets Add to list
- 1 small can sliced water chestnuts Add to list
- 2 to 3 plums, halved, pitted and sliced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce Add to list
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted*, for garnish Add to list
In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry or rice wine, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Add the strips of chicken and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or longer if a stronger flavor is desired.
* Spread on a baking sheet and toast in a 350º F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until aromatic and they are golden brown.
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, add the onion, stir for 2 to 3 minutes, and then add the chicken strips. Sauté quickly - just until the chicken begins to brown. Add the carrot slices and broccoli and lower the heat to medium. Cover the pan with a lid to keep liquids from evaporating. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the water chestnuts, plums and hoisin sauce. Toss until everything is heated through. Sprinkle with the almonds just before serving.
Serve with Coconut Rice with Cilantro.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated at West Seattle PCC's 20th Anniversary event, September 13, 2009.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »