Learn to make this perennial PCC Deli favorite and try four different ways to enjoy it.
- 2 tablespoons organic sunflower oil, divided Add to list
- 1/2 cup (1/3 of a 12-ounce can) organic orange juice concentrate Add to list
- 1/2 cup mirin rice wine Add to list
- 1/4 cup organic low-sodium tamari Add to list
- 1/4 cup organic toasted sesame oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons organic brown rice vinegar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic Add to list
- 2 tablespoons finely minced organic fresh ginger Add to list
- 2 pounds organic extra-firm tofu Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a medium-size casserole dish with 1 tablespoon sunflower oil.
Mix together remaining tablespoon of sunflower oil, orange juice concentrate, mirin rice wine, tamari, toasted sesame oil, brown rice vinegar, garlic and ginger. Whisk well.
Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes and marinate in the above liquid in the greased casserole dish for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon. It's best to use a wooden spoon to avoid damaging the tofu.
Bake the tofu in the dish for 1 hour, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. Some sauces will be absorbed into the tofu while cooking. Serve hot or cold with your favorite accompaniment.
Tasty ideas to try
Make a sandwich: Toss shredded red and green cabbage with Annie's Naturals Organic Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette. Place on a split ciabatta roll with baked tofu.
Add to soup: Add small cubes to soup and simmer just as you would with meat.
Make noodles: Toss cubes of Steph's Tofu with cooked and rinsed soba noodles, sliced red bell pepper and Annie Chun's Thai Peanut Sauce. Top with scallions.
Wrap it up: Stir-fry shredded carrots and slices of bell pepper in a little olive oil and sesame oil. Place on a warm flour tortilla with slices of baked tofu. Top with a large lettuce leaf and fold like a burrito.
Source: PCC Deli