Yield: 3 dozen
- 2 cups whole barley flour (or whole wheat pastry flour) Add to list
- 1 and 1/2 cups finely ground nutmeal (almonds, filberts or pecans, ground 1/2 cup at a time in dry blender, then measured) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons Rumford aluminum-free baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 cup unrefined sesame oil (or safflower or corn) Add to list
- 3/4 cup Mystic Lake fruit juice concentrate (or maple syrup or honey) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or half almond extract if using almonds) Add to list
- Optional glaze: red raspberry or currant jelly Add to list
Combine dry and liquid ingredients in separate bowls. Add wet to dry and mix well, kneading a little. With fingers form golf-sized balls, flatten with hands to 1/4 inch, and place close together on cookie sheet sprayed lightly.
Indent with any new rubber stamp design, (or carve a simple design, such as a tree or star, on flat half of a cut raw potato). Brush design lightly with jelly, and bake for approximately 15 minutes in preheated 350°F oven.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager