Spring Sunshine Salad with Citrus Parmesan Dressing
Serves: 4 to 6
Bright citrus is a perfect foil to creamy avocado and sharp Parmesan.
For the Citrus Parmesan Dressing
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots Add to list
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (or half olive oil and half lemon oil) Add to list
- 2 pinches each of salt and pepper Add to list
For the salad
- 6 to 8 handfuls mixed salad greens or butter lettuce, washed and dried well Add to list
- 1 or 2 medium oranges, segmented, pith removed Add to list
- 1/2 cup or so toasted nuts (sliced almonds, pine nuts, etc.) Add to list
- 1/2 cup sliced spring onions Add to list
- About 1/3 cup Citrus Parmesan Dressing Add to list
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced Add to list
- Parmesan shavings for garnish Add to list
To make the dressing
In a medium bowl or glass jar, combine the grated Parmesan, orange zest and juice, and the shallots. Whisk in the white wine vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil and finish by seasoning with salt and pepper.
To make the salad
Wash and dry salad greens well and place them in a large bowl. Add the oranges, nuts and onions. Toss well with some of the dressing, reserving remaining dressing for another use. Add the avocado and give the salad one last light toss — be gentle, you don't want the avocado to disintegrate.
Sprinkle with a few shavings of Parmesan — you can make nice thick curls using a vegetable peeler.
Each serving: 270 cal, 22g fat (3g sat), 0mg chol, 45mg sodium, 16g carb, 7g fiber, 5g protein
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, May 2012
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »