Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter Add to list
- 3/4 cup sliced leeks, white and tender green parts Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 quart vegetable broth Add to list
- 2 large or 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped Add to list
- 1 bunch coarsely chopped asparagus, tough ends removed Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg Add to list
- 1/2 cup cream (optional) Add to list
In a heavy pot, heat the olive oil or butter over medium heat and cook the leeks, garlic and thyme for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the leeks are soft.
Pour the vegetable broth into the pot. Add the chopped russet potatoes and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes fall apart. Add the asparagus and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender.
Allow the soup to cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender or food processor. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in the cream, if desired, and heat through.
If you would like a little garnish: Serve scattered with herbed croutons or with baguette slices spread with chÃ¨vre cheese.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »