Spring Asparagus Tart
- 1 3/4 cups flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends discarded, diagonally sliced into 1-inch lengths Add to list
- 1/3 cup cooked ham cut into 1/4-inch dice (optional) Add to list
- Salt and white pepper Add to list
- 3 eggs Add to list
- 3/4 cup half-and-half Add to list
- 1/2 cup sour cream Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- Zest of 1 lemon, minced Add to list
- 1 cup grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese Add to list
For the pastry
Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the beaten egg and enough water for the pastry to hold together. Form into a flat round and chill for at least 30 minutes. Roll out the dough and fit into a 10 1/2-inch tart pan.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Pierce the pastry shell all over with a fork. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm, but not completely browned. Remove from oven and cool.
For the filling
Heat a medium sauté pan. Add olive oil and onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Stir in asparagus and optional ham and cook 6 to 7 minutes, until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove mixture from pan and cool.
Prepare custard by combining eggs, half-and-half, sour cream and parsley. Add salt and lemon zest.
Sprinkle the cheese on the bottom of the crust, spread with asparagus mixture. Pour the custard over and bake for about 40 minutes, until the custard is golden and set.
Source: Sound Consumer April 2004
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »