Spinach Salad with Roasted Spiced Chickpeas and Lemon Vinaigrette
Serves: 4 to 6
- 8 ounces chickpeas, soaked overnight (or 1 cup dried chickpeas) Add to list
- 2 cloves of garlic Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- Salt to taste Add to list
- 4 ounces spinach, washed and cut Add to list
- 4 ounces grated carrots (about 2 carrots) Add to list
Place drained, soaked chickpeas in a pot with ample water to cover and add the garlic. Cook until tender. Drain and cool under cold running water briefly then refrigerate in a colander or perforated pan until cool.
In a bowl, mix chickpeas with the oil and spices. Spread on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated oven at 400° F until slightly toasted. Cool slightly.
Vinaigrette and salad
Mix shallot, ground mustard, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and black pepper in a bowl and whisk in the oil. Season with salt and then toss the vinaigrette with the spinach and carrots. Garnish with the roasted chickpeas and serve.
Recipe by, PCC Deli Chef
Source: 2010 PCC annual meeting dinner