Spinach and Ricotta Calzones
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach, washed and dried Add to list
- 1 cup ricotta cheese Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese Add to list
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese Add to list
- 1 large egg yolk Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 frozen pizza dough, thawed Add to list
- 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce Add to list
Preheat oven to 425° F.
In a sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat and cook garlic until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander and squeeze out the excess liquid, then coarsely chop.
In a large bowl combine spinach, all three cheeses, egg, salt and pepper.
Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, then roll out each piece into an 8-inch round. Working on half of each circle, divide the spinach-cheese filling equally, leaving about a 1/2-inch margin on the edge. Fold the other half of the dough over the top of filling and pinch the edges firmly to seal.
Transfer the calzones to a baking sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with heated marinara sauce for dipping.
Each serving: 260 cal, 15g fat (5g sat), 75mg chol, 480mg sodium, 20g carb, 3g fiber, 14g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »