Spicy Tomato Soup with Orzo and Kale
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained Add to list
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or more) Add to list
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces Add to list
- Small bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped Add to list
- 1 cup orzo Add to list
In a heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, cumin, red pepper flakes and oregano. Sauté until vegetables have softened and spices are fragrant, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add tomatoes, tomato juice from can and stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Add kale and most of the cilantro (set aside 2 to 3 tablespoons cilantro for garnish). Simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until kale has softened and flavors have come together.
While soup is simmering, cook orzo separately until al dente. When soup is ready, adjust salt and pepper to taste. Spoon hot soup into bowls. Add a scoop of orzo to each bowl. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor