Spicy Steak, Cucumber & Lime Salad with Cilantro & Thai Basil
- 1/2 pound flank steak Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil Add to list
- 5 garlic cloves, minced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce Add to list
- Juice of 1 lime plus 3 more tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup seeded and diced cucumber Add to list
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot Add to list
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion Add to list
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Thai basil leaves Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint Add to list
- 1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce Add to list
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce Add to list
- 2 teaspoons hot chili sesame oil Add to list
- Lettuce or cabbage leaves Add to list
Toss the flank steak in the oil, 4 minced garlic cloves, soy sauce, juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper. Refrigerate overnight.
Heat a heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat and sear the beef about 5 minutes to a side until medium rare. Cut into thin slices across the grain.
Combine the cucumber, carrot, green onion, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and basil in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of lime juice, mint, sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, the remaining minced garlic clove and sesame oil to make the dressing.
Line each of 4 plates with lettuce or cabbage leaves and top with slices of beef. Top with the salad mixture and drizzle each salad with the dressing. Garnish with whole sprigs of cilantro and lime wedges.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated at the 2010 Issaquah PCC Healthy Living Fair.