Spicy Squash Salad with Lentils and Goat Cheese
Serves: 6 as an appetizer, 3 as a main course
This salad is substantial enough for a meal, and impressive enough to serve guests.
- 6 cups peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash (1-inch cubes from about a 2-pound squash) Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, or more to taste Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt Add to list
- 3/4 cup green lentils Add to list
- 4 cups arugula Add to list
- 1 cup soft crumbled goat or sheep's milk cheese, divided Add to list
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced mint leaves (optional) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, plus additional to taste Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Toss squash cubes with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, paprika and salt. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Flip pieces and roast for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until tender. Cool.
Meanwhile, soak lentils for 10 minutes in a small bowl, then drain. Cook lentils in boiling, salted water until tender but firm, about 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and then drain and cool.
Combine lentils and squash with arugula, 1/2 cup goat cheese, mint, vinegar and 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper and extra vinegar, if desired. Divide among plates and pass with remaining goat cheese to sprinkle.
Each appetizer serving: 250 cal, 11g fat (4g sat), 10mg chol, 280mg sodium, 31g carb, 7g fiber, 10g protein