Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Pesto with Pistachios, Feta and Mint
Yield: About 1 1/2 cups
This was served with Potatoes Roasted in Parchment Purses.
- 2 to 3 dried red chiles (New Mexico or Ancho work well) Add to list
- 2 red bell peppers Add to list
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint Add to list
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup feta cheese Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachios Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
Cut open the dried chiles and remove the seeds and stems. Soak the chiles in boiling water for 20 minutes, drain and coarsely chop. (Chef’s note: Freeze the soaking liquid for the next time you make soup!)
Roast the bell peppers over an outdoor grill, an open gas flame or under your broiler, turning occasionally, until blackened all over. Place in a bowl and cover for 15 minutes. Cut the ends off the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise. Scrape the seeds out and then turn them over and scrape off as much of the blackened peel as you can. (It won’t hurt anyone’s feelings if a little peel remains!)
Place the chiles, roasted peppers, parsley, mint, garlic, feta, pistachios and salt in a food processor and blend coarsely. Scrape down the sides and add 1/3 cup olive oil. Blend to a paste and add more olive oil if needed.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on May 14, 2011.