Spicy Plum Sauce Grilled Short Ribs with Grilled Fresh Plums
Serves: 4 to 6
These sticky, sweet and slightly spicy ribs are irresistible! Serve them garnished with black and white sesame seeds and brightly colored, grilled green onions! If you like, make a double batch of the marinade and serve the extra, heated, on the side.
- 2 to 3 pounds thin-cut beef short ribs Add to list
- 1/2 cup plum jam Add to list
- 1/2 cup sherry wine Add to list
- 1/2 cup soy sauce Add to list
- 1/4 cup honey Add to list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 4 green onions, sliced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes Add to list
- 4 to 6 fresh ripe plums, cut in half and pits removed Add to list
- Suggested accompaniments: grilled green onions, sesame seeds and your favorite steamed rice Add to list
Place the short ribs in a non-reactive baking dish or bowl.
Combine the remaining ingredients except the fresh plums and accompaniments and pour all but 1/4 cup of the marinade mixture over the ribs. Reserve the remaining 1/4 cup to glaze the plums during cooking. Marinate the ribs overnight in the refrigerator, tossing them in the marinade occasionally.
To cook: Preheat a grill to high heat or prepare a bed of hot coals. Grill the ribs, turning occasionally and basting them with the marinade, for a total of about 10 to12 minutes. The goal is to get them really sticky and brown with most of the fat rendered off. Brush the plums with the reserved marinade and place on the grill, cut side down, during the last 6 minutes or so of cooking.
Throw a few green onions onto the grill during the grilling process if you would like!
To serve, cut the ribs into individual pieces and serve with the plums. To make it fun, add a few sesame seeds, grilled green onions and serve with some steamed rice.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired August 10, 2011.