Spicy Maple-Glazed Nuts
Yield: 4 cups
Delicious as a snack, a garnish for salads or dessert, or atop oatmeal. They make a great gift, too.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter Add to list
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (in bulk at PCC) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) Add to list
- 4 cups shelled nuts (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios) Add to list
- 3 tablespoons turbinado or muscovado sugar Add to list
Preheat oven to 250° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
In a large saucepan combine butter, syrup, water, salt, cinnamon and chili powder. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Romove from heat, then mix in nuts and stir to coat evenly.
Spread nuts in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on waxed or parchment paper to cool.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Source: Sound Consumer, December 2011,