Spicy Grilled Flank Steak Lettuce Wraps With Crispy Garlic and Pumpkin Seeds
Serves: 4 to 6
The colors and textures in this dish make it a lovely centerpiece for a party or gathering! Curry paste and garlic grilled flank steak are made even more special by choosing grass-fed beef, which is lower in fat, rich in nutrients and has a deep, herbaceous flavor. The sprinkling of crispy garlic and whole cilantro sprigs makes the entire dish pop!
Spicy Grilled Flank Steak
- 1 small grass-fed flank steak Add to list
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce Add to list
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste Add to list
- Juice of 1 lime Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
For the filling
- Spicy Grilled Flank Steak (see recipe above) Add to list
- Vegetable oil for frying Add to list
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh garlic Add to list
- 1/4 pound thin rice noodles, soaked for 5 minutes in very hot water and rinsed Add to list
- 1 small English cucumber, cut into thin strips Add to list
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips Add to list
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips Add to list
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion Add to list
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint Add to list
- Dressing (recipe follows) Add to list
- 16 to 20 green leaf lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried Add to list
For the dressing
Toss the flank steak in the remaining ingredients and marinate for 1 hour to overnight.
Cook the beef over a preheated grill, about 5 minutes to a side or until medium rare. Or you may alternately heat a heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat and sear the beef about 5 minutes to a side or until medium rare. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Carve the steak into paper-thin slices across the grain. Pile on one end of a large serving platter.
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until the surface begins to ripple. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until it is golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Toss the rice noodles, cucumber, carrots, red bell pepper, green onions, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and mint together and fold in enough of the dressing to moisten the salad mixture. Place in the center of the platter.
Garnish the platter with whole cilantro sprigs and lime wedges.
Offer your guests the platter with the beef and the salad mixture with the bowl of garlic on the side. Have them place a selection of the ingredients in the center of a lettuce leaf and roll it into a small packet. Offer additional dressing for drizzling.
Recipe by, PCC Chef