Spicy Green Salad with Pears and Manchego
Spicy greens and crunchy pears are perfect foils to the creaminess of the rich Manchego.
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon mild honey Add to list
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard Add to list
- 4 cups packed spicy salad greens, such as radish greens, watercress and/or arugula, tough stems discarded Add to list
- 4 cups packed frisée (French curly endive), torn into bite-size pieces Add to list
- 1/2 pound Manchego cheese, rind removed and cheese shaved into 32 thin slices Add to list
- 8 small Bartlett pears Add to list
Cook pumpkin seeds in 1 tablespoon oil in a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until puffed and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels and reserve oil. Season seeds with salt and pepper.
Whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add remaining 1/3 cup olive oil and reserved oil from skillet in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
Divide greens and cheese among salad plates. Cut off 2 opposite sides of each pear (reserve for another use), and slice lengthwise. Arrange a pear slice on each plate and drizzle dressing over salads. Sprinkle with seeds.
Each serving: 330 cal, 21g fat (9g sat), 30mg chol, 120mg sodium, 26g carb, 5g fiber, 10g protein
Source: Recipe adapted from "Gourmet"
PCC Sound Consumer, November 2012
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »