Spicy Black Beans
Yield: Makes about 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil Add to list
- 1/2 onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon each chili powder and chipotle powder Add to list
- 1 cup uncooked black beans, soaked (see below for soaking methods) Add to list
- 3 cups water, vegetable or chicken broth Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat and cook the onions for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds to bloom their flavor. Add the beans and the water or broth. Simmer the beans gently, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
Rinse the beans and remove any rocks or residue. Combine them with 8 cups of water in a large pot. Bring to a rapid boil, and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain the beans and rinse them.
Rinse the beans and remove any rocks or residue. Combine them with 8 cups of water in a large pot. Let stand overnight or at least 6 hours. Drain the beans and rinse them.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: As seen on the “Cheapskate Challenge” on KING 5’s Evening Magazine aired on April 28, 2009