Spiced Chocolate Pudding
- 10 tablespoons water, divided Add to list
- 3 teaspoons agar agar flakes Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh orange zest Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder, plus additional for garnish Add to list
- 1 cup whole milk (see note) Add to list
- 3/4 cup whipping cream Add to list
- 1/4 cup sugar Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sifted unsweetened cocoa powder Add to list
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips Add to list
- 2 tablespoons kudzu Add to list
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional) Add to list
Combine 6 tablespoons water, agar agar flakes, orange zest, cinnamon and chili powder in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until agar agar dissolves, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
Combine milk, cream, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in cocoa powder. Add chocolate chips and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth, about 5 minutes. Stir in agar agar mixture and cook for 5 additional minutes.
Meanwhile, dissolve kudzu in remaining 4 tablespoons water, stirring to form a slurry. Whisk into milk mixture and cook until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place a fine mesh strainer over a large measuring cup. Pass pudding through the strainer to remove any lumps. Pour pudding into individual ramekins and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of chili powder.
For a dairy-free pudding, replace the milk and cream with a 14-ounce can of coconut milk.
Recipe by, PCC Chef