Serves: 10 to 12
- 3/4 cup sugar Add to list
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature Add to list
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature Add to list
- 1/2 cup milk Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups white spelt flour Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice blend (I prefer the blend from Frontier) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger Add to list
- Caramelized Pear Sauce Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line the bottom of a baking dish with parchment paper and butter the sides.
In a mixing bowl combine sugar and butter. With an electric hand mixer, beat until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing constantly. Add milk and mix.
Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
Fold in flour mixture with a big spoon or spatula, and mix until batter is well combined. Do not overmix the dough.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 40 minutes. Use a toothpick to check doneness — the toothpick should come out clean.
Let cake cool on a cooling rack.
When cake is at room temperature, slice and serve with Caramelized Pear Sauce.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: 2011 PCC fall member meeting dinner