Spiced Beet Salad with Local Mixed Greens, Pickled Onions and Sherry Vinaigrette
Serves: 4 to 6
- 6 cups mixed greens Add to list
- 1 pound organic red beets Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground anise seed Add to list
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (fresh) Add to list
For the marinated beets
Preheat oven to 400º F. Place beets in an oven-safe dish. Roast beets, uncovered, for approximately 1 hour depending on their size. Check beets with a knife to determine doneness. Cool beets slightly and peel with a knife, scraping the skin off. Dice beets and mix with the remaining ingredients. Allow to cool, uncovered, in the refrigerator.
For the pickled onions
In a stainless steel saucepan bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, stirring onions occasionally until they are softened, about 10 minutes. Cool and serve.
For the salad
Combine 6 cups mixed greens, washed and dried, with marinated beets (recipe above) and pickled onions (recipe above). Toss with sherry vinaigrette.
Served at the 2009 PCC fall member meeting. The complete menu included:
- Roasted Pork Loin with Mushroom Sauce
- Roasted Vegetable Nut Loaf with Mushroom Béchamel Sauce (vegan) or Herbed Mushroom Sauce
- Fall Farro Pilaf (vegan)
- Spiced Beet Salad with Local Mixed Greens, Pickled Onions and Sherry Vinaigrette (vegan)
- Baked Pears with Spiced Whipped Cream and Wheat-Free Vanilla Cake
- Fidalgo Bay Coffees
Recipe by, Executive Chef for 2009 PCC fall member meeting
Source: 2009 PCC fall member meeting
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »