Spiced Beet Salad with Local Mixed Greens, Pickled Onions and Sherry Vinaigrette
Serves: 4 to 6
- 6 cups mixed greens Add to list
- 1 pound organic red beets Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground anise seed Add to list
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (fresh) Add to list
For the marinated beets
Preheat oven to 400º F. Place beets in an oven-safe dish. Roast beets, uncovered, for approximately 1 hour depending on their size. Check beets with a knife to determine doneness. Cool beets slightly and peel with a knife, scraping the skin off. Dice beets and mix with the remaining ingredients. Allow to cool, uncovered, in the refrigerator.
For the pickled onions
In a stainless steel saucepan bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, stirring onions occasionally until they are softened, about 10 minutes. Cool and serve.
For the salad
Combine 6 cups mixed greens, washed and dried, with marinated beets (recipe above) and pickled onions (recipe above). Toss with sherry vinaigrette.
Recipe by, PCC Deli
Source: 2009 PCC fall member meeting