Spice-crusted Pan-fried Tofu
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 pound extra firm tofu Add to list
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon paprika Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder Add to list
- 1 tablespoon garam masala Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil Add to list
Drain the tofu and place it in a weighted tofu press or wrap in a clean towel and weigh down with a heavy plate to draw out excess moisture. The tofu should be pressed for 15-30 minutes. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch thick slices.
Combine the brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, garam masala, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Dredge the tofu in the blend, covering all of the surfaces.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a small sauté pan and brown the tofu until golden on both sides, about 1 minute to a side.