Spanish Tomato Sauce
Yield: Makes about 4 cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 4 ounces smoked ham, cut into 1/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 cup diced onion Add to list
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers Add to list
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice, drained Add to list
- 3/4 cup dry sherry Add to list
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ham, sauté until golden, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer ham to small bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to saucepan. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Redude heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes and sherry. Bring to simmer. Cover partially; simmer over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in ham. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made one day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to simmer before using.)
Source: PCC Natural Markets Taste of Nations 1999 Cookbook