Spaghetti with Meatball Sauce
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 2 cloves crushed garlic Add to list
- 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes, crushed Add to list
- Meatballs (recipe below) Add to list
- 10 large basil leaves Add to list
- 1 pound spaghetti Add to list
- Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 1/2 pound very lean ground beef Add to list
- 1/2 pound ground pork Add to list
- 1 sourdough roll (soaked in water and squeezed) Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley Add to list
- 1/4 cup minced onion Add to list
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Dash of fresh grated nutmeg Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
- Small amount of olive oil Add to list
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and the garlic; cook for about a minute. Add crushed tomatoes. Stir, bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer.
Meanwhile, make the meatballs, then add them to the sauce. Cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add basil leaves at the end of to cooking time.
Cook the spaghetti in plenty of salted, boiling water, then drain. Serve sauce over pasta with grated cheese.
Mix all ingredients, except olive oil, in a large bowl. Shape into meatballs. Brown them in a sauté pan over medium heat, with a small amount of oil.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Recipe featured in PCC Cooks kids cooking camps.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »