Spaghetti with Italian Meat Sauce
Serves: 4 to 6
When you have great ingredients like sweet onions, juicy tomatoes and aged Pecorino cheese, the simplest preparation becomes something really special. This is an easy to prepare, budget-stretching meal for a family dinner or a group of fun-loving friends.
- 1 pound dried spaghetti or your favorite pasta shape Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 cup chopped sweet onions Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (available in bulk at PCC) Add to list
- 3/4 pound ground pork, beef, chicken or turkey Add to list
- 1 cup chopped heirloom tomatoes Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese Add to list
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. Cook, according to package directions, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Toss pasta with a little bit of olive oil.
While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a heavy bottomed sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until they begin to turn golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook for 1 minute more. Add meat, breaking it into bite-sized pieces, and cook until it is done through. Stir in tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
To give the sauce a smoother consistency, add about 1/4 cup reserved pasta water and simmer until sauce thickens and becomes silky, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in parsley or basil and season with salt and pepper.
Serve sauce over hot pasta and sprinkle with grated Pecorino.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Evening Magazine" show, which aired August 28, 2014.