Sour Cream Cornbread
This tasty cornbread gets its moistness from yogurt and sour cream and its sweetness from a hint of maple syrup.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour Add to list
- 3/4 cup yellow stone-ground cornmeal Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 2/3 cup yogurt Add to list
- 1/3 cup sour cream Add to list
- 2 tablespoons melted butter Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a small bowl or a large measuring cup, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, yogurt, sour cream and butter. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Cut into wedges or squares and serve warm.
Fold in 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup minced red pepper.
Source: Sound Consumer January 2004
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »