- 1 teaspoon cumin seed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger Add to list
- Half of a 3-inch cinnamon stick Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic Add to list
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/8-inch rounds Add to list
- 2 teaspoons sea salt Add to list
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 1 bunch greens of choice, chopped Add to list
- 3 cups garbanzo beans, cooked Add to list
- 1/2 cup stock Add to list
- 3/4 cup currants Add to list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped Add to list
Grind all spices together.
Place the potatoes in a steamer basket and steam until fork tender. Set aside.
Heat a 3- to 4-quart skillet. Add the olive oil. Add the onions, stirring to coat with the oil. Next, add the ground spices and garlic, mixing into the onions. Add the carrots, coating again with the oil and spices.
Pour in the 2 to 3 cups of stock. Add the beans and the chopped greens. Cover and cook until the carrots and greens are tender.
Add the potatoes. Remove 1/2 cup of the cooking stew and purée in a blender. Return to the skillet. Add the currents, vinegar, and chopped parsley. Serve immediately over brown basmati rice.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor