Sizzling Szechuan Tangerine Chicken
Serves: 2 to 4
This classic dish absolutely glows with color and the slightly spicy flavors are sublime. Try it with blood oranges for deep red color or pink grapefruit for a tangy twist.
- 2 to 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts Add to list
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder Add to list
- 1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Add to list
- 4 to 6 small dry hot chile peppers Add to list
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground or crushed white peppercorns Add to list
- 1/2 cup pea pods Add to list
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper strips Add to list
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions Add to list
- 1 cup peeled tangerine segments Add to list
For the cooking sauce
Cut the chicken into thin strips. Toss the strips in the arrowroot powder to coat.
Heat a wok or wide frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the chicken strips to the hot oil and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until just done through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger. Cook for a few seconds. Add the chiles and peppercorns and stir-fry until they become aromatic, about 10 seconds. Add the pea pods, bell pepper strips and the green onions. Cook for 1 minute.
Add the chicken back to the pan and pour in the cooking sauce. Simmer until the sauce bubbles and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Fold in the tangerine segments and serve over steamed rice.
To make the cooking sauce
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
Recipe by, PCC Chef