Sizzling Coriander Shrimp Tacos with Handmade Corn Tortillas
Yield: 10 to 12 tacos
I adore shrimp tacos! The flavors are fresh, vibrant and, if you choose, fiery. My version takes advantage of easy yet stellar ingredients, which we do very well here at PCC: sweet, bright American shrimp; whole coriander; colorful organic produce; and locally milled masa harina (yellow corn flour) for traditional, steaming-hot tortillas. Succulent, healthy and beautiful! Hmmm, what could be better than that?
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or coconut oil Add to list
- 1 pound 31 to 40 count peeled and deveined American shrimp (tail off) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds (available in the bulk spice section at PCC) Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Limes for squeezing Add to list
- Hot sauce, to taste (be brave!) Add to list
- 10 to 12 handmade Corn Tortillas or good-quality pre-made organic corn tortillas Add to list
- 1 cup very finely sliced cabbage Add to list
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce Add to list
- Sprigs of fresh cilantro Add to list
- Mango Salsa or Pico de Gallo Add to list
- Lime wedges Add to list
Heat the oil in a large, heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and coriander seeds in a single layer and let the shrimp cook on one side without stirring for about 2 to 3 minutes or until any liquid in the pan is reduced and the underside of the shrimp starts to turn dark pink. Flip them, sprinkle the garlic and green onions around the pan, and cook until the prawns are just opaque through.
Season with salt, pepper, freshly squeezed lime juice, and hot sauce, all in generous measure, and toss to blend the flavors.
On a griddle or in a hot sauté pan, heat the tortillas a few at a time and place 1 or 2 on each serving plate. Top each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of sliced cabbage and 2 shrimp. Drizzle generously with Creamy Chipotle Sauce and scatter with cilantro sprigs. Serve with salsa, lime wedges and additional topping options as your imagination dictates!
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired March 8, 2012.
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »