Singapore Beef Stew
Rich with a coconut milk curry base, this beef stew has a terrific blend of tanginess and spice.
- 3 3/4 pound beef stew meat, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons garam masala Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon salt Add to list
- 2 teaspoons black pepper Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 3/4 yellow onion, cut into large dice Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic Add to list
- 1/2 stalk lemongrass, bias cut into 2-inch pieces Add to list
- 1/4 cup lemon juice Add to list
- 24 ounces canned coconut milk Add to list
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (for garnish) Add to list
Preheat oven to 325˚F.
Toss beef in bowl with flour, garlic powder, garam masala, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, salt and pepper. Bake on well-oiled baking sheet for 30 minutes, or until beef is browned.
Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté over medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and lemongrass and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Add lemon juice, coconut milk and crushed tomatoes. Stir together and bring to a simmer. Add cooked beef, stir and simmer for about 1 hour. Garnish with cilantro.