Simple Whole Grain and Flax Quick Bread
Yield: Makes 1 small loaf
This is where PCC’s bulk department becomes an adventure in texture, taste and health. Choose a little of each of your favorite grains, throw them in a blender to create your own whole grain blend, and bake up this dense and luscious quick bread! Serve it with Savory Rainbow Bean and Whole Grain Winter Soup.
- 1 cup whole grains (oat, wheat berries, barley, etc. in any combination from the bulk department) Add to list
- 1/4 cup flax seed Add to list
- 1 cup unbleached white or whole wheat flour Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons honey Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil Add to list
- 1 cup milk Add to list
Preheat oven to 450° F.
Place the grains and flax in a blender or food processor and pulse to coarsely grind. In a mixing bowl combine the ground grains, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl combine the honey, oil and milk. Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir just until you achieve a soft dough.
Form the mixture into a loaf shape about 3 inches around and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and reduce the temperature to 425° F. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is deep golden brown.
This bread is at its best served warm out of the oven with local, cultured butter. (However, it also makes great toast on day 2.)
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: PCC Fresh, January 2010