Simple Pasta Ella with Colorful Garden Vegetables
Serves: 6 to 8
This dish is full of bright colors and can be custom designed any way you like. Try adding heirloom tomatoes, eggplant or yellow squash in season. Serve with Herb-seasoned Roasted Chicken a la Ella.
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen tortellini Add to list
- 1/2 cup zucchini slices Add to list
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets Add to list
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper strips Add to list
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives Add to list
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves Add to list
- Any other bright garden vegetables you love Add to list
- 1 cup Alfredo sauce (PCC sells a delicious, local brand: Cucina Fresca) Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta just until al dente, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon or small strainer and rinse in cold water.
Place the pot back on the stove and add the zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli and any other vegetables you may add that need blanching. Simmer for a scant 2 minutes and remove. If you're not going to cook the pasta dish right away, refresh the veggies in cold water and drain.
In a sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, red peppers, olives, basil leaves and any other vegetables. Stir for 1 minute. Add the pasta and the Alfredo sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is hot and the pasta is heated through. Serve garnished with the grated Parmesan.
You may grill or sauté the vegetables to be added to the pasta instead of blanching them.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on June 5, 2010.