White Bean and Sausage Soup
Shopper recipe | Submitted by permiegirl
Prep time: 30 minutes
A luscious and hearty bean soup, with sausage, kale and potatoes, that is sure to warm you on a fall evening.
- 3 cups of white beans, soaked overnight Add to list
- 2 sage leaves Add to list
- 3 sprigs rosemary Add to list
- 1 yellow potato, cubed Add to list
- 32 ounces organic chicken broth Add to list
- 6 ounces Organic Prairie Hardwood Smoked Bacon Add to list
- 1 package Organic Prairie Italian Chicken Sausage or PCC brand pork sausage Add to list
- 1 onion, diced Add to list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced Add to list
- 1 zucchini, cubed Add to list
- 1/2 bunch dinosaur kale, de-stemmed and ripped into 2-inch pieces Add to list
- 2 teaspons fresh minced oregano Add to list
- 2 teaspons fresh minced thyme Add to list
- Black pepper to taste Add to list
- Mizithra or Parmesan cheese for garnish Add to list
After soaking beans overnight, discard bean water and refresh with new water. Add sage and rosemary, and cook beans until soft. Discard sage leaves.
Add potatoes to cooked beans. Add chicken broth to pot and let simmer.
In a frying pan, cook bacon until crispy. Leave the rendered fat in the pan. Remove the bacon to a paper towel, let cool, then crumble into the soup pot.
Slice sausage links into bite-size pieces and add to the pot.
In rendered bacon fat, saute onion until translucent and browned. Add to soup pot with minced garlic, allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
Add zucchini to the pot. When zucchini becomes bright green, add the kale, oregano, thyme and pepper.
When the kale is wilted and bright green, remove soup pot from heat. Garnish with cheese and serve.
This soup pairs nicely with a good challah and cheese.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »