Warm Cabbage Salad
Shopper recipe | Submitted by Rupertnegley2
Prep time: 30 Minute
This is a simple warm salad for fall and winter. It combines the flavors of cabbage, pears and onions for a delightful addition to vegetarian, poultry or soup-centered meals. It's wonderful to share with people you love and whose company you enjoy.
- 4 cups chopped or shredded fresh cabbage Add to list
- 1 medium-sized yellow or sweet onion Add to list
- 2 large to moderate very ripe pears Add to list
- 4 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger root or 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger Add to list
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic or 1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic Add to list
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
Remove outer skin from onion and slice fairly thin. Cut the round slices into quarters.
Wash pears, quarter and remove core and stem. Do not remove peel. Slice each quarter into 3 to 4 slices.
Place a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Pour in olive oil.
As soon as skillet is warm, add cabbage, onions and top with pear slices.
Sprinkle ginger, cumin and garlic over the top. Bring to a full, sizzling heat, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Lower heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Let simmer about 8 minutes. Pears will become soft and may even turn to almost pear sauce in the mixture.
Remove from heat. Add balsamic vinegar, stir again and serve.
This dish can be kept warm or reheated and will maintain excellent flavor.