Shopper recipe | Submitted by sheilabacon
Serves: 4 as a side dish
Yield: Plenty for dinner
Prep time: 20 minutes
This is a great recipe to soften tough kale. The sauteed onions and garlic — along with the red pepper flakes — add intense flavor to the earthy kale.
- 1 pound kale, tough stems and center ribs discarded and leaves cut into 1-inch-wide strips (8 cups) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise Add to list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced Add to list
- Pinch of dried hot red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, or to taste Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
Cook kale in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 10 minutes, then drain in a colander.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to moderate, then add kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and salt.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »