Potato Corn Chowder
Shopper recipe | Submitted by mschweikkl
Serves: 6 to 8
Prep time: 30 minutes or less
This is adapted from one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks, "Horn of the Moon."
- 4 large unpeeled potatoes, diced Add to list
- 4 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 2 to 3 bay leaves Add to list
- 1 tablespoon butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels Add to list
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk combined with 1/2 cup half and half Add to list
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, or 1 cup cheddar and 1 cup pepper jack Add to list
- Chopped green onion for garnish (optional) Add to list
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional) Add to list
Combine potatoes, chicken broth and bay leaves in a 3-quart soup pot and bring to boil. Simmer covered until tender.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a fry pan and saute the onions with the cumin until tender. Add to soup and then add frozen corn.
Whisk flour into milk mixture and then slowly add to soup, whisking constantly until thoroughly blended. Simmer for about 5 minutes to slightly thicken soup while continuing to stir.
Add grated cheese, about 1/2 cup at a time, and stir until melted. Keep heat low and watch the bottom of the pot. When cheese is melted and blended into soup, ladle into bowls and then offer green onions and parsley as a garnish on the side.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »