Egyptian Sweet Potatoes
Shopper recipe | Submitted by Lynnielee
Serves: 8 to 10
Prep time: 30 minutes
Our favorite Thanksgiving side dish! Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 pound sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cooked Add to list
- 1/2 cup sour cream Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon (divided) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar Add to list
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup butter (divided) Add to list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans Add to list
- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes Add to list
- Mini marshmallows Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a bowl, beat together the sweet potatoes, sour cream, egg, salt, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of the butter. Pour into a 1-quart casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until done. You can mix this in advance and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Melt the remaining butter and mix it with the brown sugar.
Combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, pecans and cornflakes. Stir this mixture into the butter-sugar mixture. Spread this topping over the baked potatoes, reserving a little bit.
Sprinkle mini marshmallows over the topping. Add the remaining topping over the marshmallows.
Bake for 15 minutes more or until the marshmallows are puffed and golden brown.
We always double this recipe as it usually is the favorite holiday dish. If you do double it, make it in two separate casserole dishes.