Prep time: 1 hour
Prepare these delicious and easy-to-make enchiladas for your next dinner party or potluck.
- 8 cups water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon salt Add to list
- 2 chicken breasts Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1 onion Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chili powder Add to list
- 1 can refried beans Add to list
- 8 (wheat or white) flour tortillas Add to list
- 2 cups shredded cheese, plus more for garnish Add to list
- 1 cup pickled jalapenos Add to list
- 2 cans enchilada sauce Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Bring water in a medium saucepan to a boil over medium-high. Once the water begins to boil, add salt and chicken breasts. Chicken should take approximately 20 minutes to cook, check to make sure it is cooked through before removing from pot.
While the chicken cooks, add olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and chili powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until onions are fully caramelized.
Remove cooked chicken breasts from the pot and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken.
Now it's time to build your enchiladas. In a 9- by 13-inch baking dish, add a small amount of enchilada sauce just to coat the bottom of the dish.
For each enchilada, add equal portions of beans, onions, chicken, cheese and jalapenos to a tortilla. Wrap the filled tortilla and place in baking dish. Once all enchiladas are complete, bathe them with the remaining sauce.
Bake for 20 minutes. Garnish with a little shredded cheese and return to the oven for 2 to 3 more minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe by, PCC staff member
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »