Barbara Kingsolver's Recuerdos de Tuscon (adapted)
Shopper recipe | Submitted by mdapses
Serves: 6 to 8
Prep time: 1 hour (including cooking time)
A heavenly one-dish stew of chicken (or pork loin), winter squash or yams, poblano and red bell peppers, and onions. Serve with toasted, buttered tortillas. This recipe easily can be converted to vegetarian by substituting seitan and/or black beans for meat and vegetable stock for chicken stock.
- 1 large onion, coarsely diced Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped Add to list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 poblano pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon cumin Add to list
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or pork loin (cut into large chunks) Add to list
- 2 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 2 large yams (or 4 cups winter squash), cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
Saute onion and garlic gently in olive oil until softened. Add all peppers and cumin. Saute 2 minutes more.
Add meat, chicken broth, yams (or winter squash), and tomatoes. Stir and cover with lid and cook on medium-low heat about 20 to 30 minutes until yams (squash) and meat are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in soup bowls with plenty of broth and top with chopped cilantro. Enjoy with toasted, buttered tortillas of your choice.