Baked Spaghetti Squash
Shopper recipe | Submitted by firstname.lastname@example.org
Prep time: 15 minutes
This dish beautifully blends Italian flavors with this unique squash. It's a delicious way to put your fall squash to use (it's gluten free and can be vegetarian too!).
- 1 large spaghetti squash Add to list
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef (optional) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups favorite tomato sauce (I use Muir Glen Tomato Sauce or Pizza Sauce) Add to list
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese Add to list
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (you can used dried) Add to list
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn (or 1 tablespoon dried basil) Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- Toasted pepitas for garnish Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Halve the spaghetti squash lengthwise and bake (rind side up) for about 30 to 40 minutes.
If using meat, add oil to a pan on the stove and cook over medium-high heat until the exterior is browned.
While meat is cooking, begin scraping out your squash from tip to tip with a fork (strands will resemble spaghetti). Then transfer scraped squash into a strainer to drain while prepping sauce.
In a large bowl, mix together sauce, mozzarella, 3/4 cup of Parmesan, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper. Feel free to add more or less sauce and cheese depending on your personal preferences.
Once the spaghetti squash is drained, add to the sauce mixture and stir until it is well combined.
You can either bake in a glass pie dish or in ramekins. If using ramekins, place a scoop of the squash mixture in each one, covering the bottom. If using a glass pie dish, fill the dish evenly. If using meat, place the browned meat on top of the squash mixture and then place another scoop of squash on top of the meat.
Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese on top. (If using ramekins, place them on a cookie sheet.)
Bake at 350° F for 35 to 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and squash looks bubbled and set. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with toasted pepitas.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »