Shaved Radish, Basil and Olive Oil Salad
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side salad
This unassuming combination of ingredients is a staple in many European households. It is refreshing, bright, slightly spicy and makes a perfect accompaniment to rich or hearty foods.
- 1 bunch radishes, tops and root tips removed Add to list
- 8 or so basil leaves (or you may use your favorite tender herb, such as dill, tarragon or chervil) Add to list
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- Juice of 1 lemon Add to list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste Add to list
Cut the radishes into thin slices crosswise with a mandolin or potato peeler. Place in a bowl.
Stack the basil leaves on top of each other (about 8 leaves at a time), and cut into thin strips. Toss together with the radishes and remaining ingredients. (Make sure to toss the ingredients shortly before serving or the radishes will get too soft.)
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired February 2, 2011.